Ceramics at The Joss Research Institute
- Rutile Blue
Studio Potter, Volume 35 Number 1, December, 2006;
I regret that the photo in the article fails to do justice to the bowl in question. (Largely my fault.) Here is a slightly better one.
- Fluorescent Glazes
Clay Times, May/June 2005, pp48-52;
You can find photos (including some items that were not in the article, as well as some technical information) by following the link I give below.
- Recreating the Black Ding Glaze
Studio Potter, Volume 33 Number 1, December, 2004;
(Again, see below for a link to online versions of the photos, as well as some ancillary information.)
- I hope to have one or more articles out fairly soon about other work I’ve been doing, some of it with translucent porcelain.
Pages about my work:
- A “Red Tenmoku” glaze that isn’t just orange or brick colored; at its best, this is a deep mahogany.
- A seriously incomplete page about what I’ve been doing with Copper Reds
- Some work I’ve been doing with Rutile Blue glazes, which culminated in the article for Studio Potter that I mention above.
- A wonderful little piece of serendipity that led me to a nice glaze.
- Information about taking photographs of fluorescent things, to accompany the article about Fluorescent Glazes that I mention above, along with a fair number of pictures of fluorescent items. (Caution: The page is image-intensive, and may take a while to load.)
- Information about my copy of the Black Ding glaze, to accompany the Studio Potter article I mention above.
- My protracted effort to convert an electric kiln to gas. (I eventually succeeded, though I had to design the burner several times before I got one that worked.)
- The happy result of adding Rutile to a high-iron glaze
- Various interim results from the Spring of 2004…
- …and a few more from that Autumn
I’ll post more here as they become available or as I think of them.
the Joss Research Institute
19 Main St.
Laurel MD 20707-4303 USA
Email: email@example.com, where you can replace a with my first name (jon, only 3 letters, no “h”) and b with joss.
Phone: +1 240 604 4495.
Last modified: Wed Dec 12 20:28:03 EST 2007